FIND DETAILS BELOW FOR:
Accepting applications until the job is removed from this page.
Works With: The Executive Director(s) directly supervises the Finance and Operations Managing Director, Wikimedia Director, Archives Director, and the Development Assistant. They also work with the Board of Directors, Advisory Council, the Nonprofit Consultant and the entire team of Black Lunch Table.
Reports directly to: Board of Directors
Job Overview: The Executive Director is responsible for oversight of the nonprofit at the highest level. They maintain a vision of the overall organization and how its constituent parts work together. Their oversight of the Directors ensures that the organization meets its goals [in terms of those set in the strategic plan, and specific to project areas], and will work with the board to ensure the organization adheres to its overall mission. They are responsible for leading annual fundraising initiatives, oversight of programs, thought leadership, board management and management of leadership staff.
Informs project vision + innovation + strategies
- Keeps an ongoing dream list for the organization & makes recommendations for long-term planning to Directors and Board.
- Works with Nonprofit advisor, Directors, Board of Directors and Advisory Council to strategize and implement vision as needed
- Evaluates systems’ efficiency and works with Directors to refine structures and streamline workflows
Finance, HR and Operations Responsibilities and Duties:
- Supervises Directors
- Develops efficient systems for communication, and delegation to the Directors.
- Regularly assesses changing needs of BLT team, in consultation with Directors.
- Ensures mission-driven direction of programming and activities
- Periodically provides performance reviews of Directors.
- Board of Directors and Board Committees.
- Leads board development, structure and composition.
- Determines structures for record keeping and advises directors, and Executive Assistant on best practices.
- Develops + publishes Annual Board reports
- Approve financial records updates
- Approve annual budgets for presentation to the Board and organization stakeholders
- Develop and approve policy to ensure that the organization is code compliant and meets industry standard for compensation, government filings, labor policies, etc
- Approves of all new hires and compensation
- Lead staff retreats in collaboration with Consultants and Directors where appropriate.
Development + External Affairs:
- Leads the visioning, planning and execution of fundraising campaigns.
- Leads grant writing efforts in collaboration with Development Specialist, including identifying goals
- Nurtures donor relationships, in collaboration with Development Specialist
- Communication maintenance including writing thank you letters and grantor relationship building
- Helps maintain a standardized BLT public presence.
- Helps maintain internal systems and policy in collaboration with other team members.
- In collaboration with Directors, strategizes, develops and maintains partner relationships:
- with peer organizations
- with public cohorts including participants, individual donors and potentials
- with funder organizations and potential partners
- Highly motivated and empathetic team-player
- Excellent writing + organization skills
- Successful experience leading 501c3 nonprofit organizations
- Strong fundraising experience including donor relations, campaigns, events and grants
- Ability to communicate effectively across a diversity of people
- Proficiency in or ability to learn nonprofit management softwares, including: Quickbooks, Kindful, Gusto, Asana and Google Drive platforms
- Demonstrated investment in Black lives and the organization’s mission.
Expected hours to work: Full time, 30-40 hours per week. Salary starts at 92k/year. This position is remote with occasional events in person.
Please email your cover letter and CV, including contact information for three professional references, with the subject heading: “ED Search Committee” to email@example.com.
Search will remain open until June 15, 2022.
Black Lunch Table is searching for a Web Developer to work on the digital application that enables search and discovery of our archive. The work will include: creating and modifying React components for our application, implementing styles and UI as provided by our designer, integrating external APIs, working with AWS services, and other tasks depending on developer interest.
Our top priority is to find a developer with great communication skills who believes in the project. This is fun development work that touches a lot of tools and languages and presents a great opportunity to dig into the area of the tech stack that interests you most. You will be the 2nd developer on the team (working with the lead developer/software architect) so your work and opinions will make an impact. The project is in early-stage, active development.
There is a wide variety of experience that can be relevant for this role so please don’t be afraid to apply. We are looking for someone versatile, curious, and able to learn. We are happy to train the right person on archives and library technologies and concepts.
This contracted position will conclude at the end of December 2022, with a possibility of renewal. Compensation commensurate with experience.
- Experience with React, ideally familiar with Next.js and SSR concepts
- CSS, Material UI, styling in React
- Github experience and best practices
- Written communication skills (for documenting your work)
- APIs and data integration
- Experience with AWS
- Demonstrated investment in Black lives / social justice issues
- This list is not hard and fast; please apply if you feel you’d be a good fit and good learner.
- Ability to write basic Python scripts (we process data and transcripts in Python)
- WordPress development experience (we have a marketing site built in WP that may need future maintenance and development)
- Familiarity with library and information science concepts and tools like metadata, Linked Data, and OpenRefine
- Familiarity with indexing for search, specifically we use Algolia
This position is remote and contracted. Compensation for this contract position is based upon experience with a range of $15-20k. Start date is ASAP! Position is open until filled.Email firstname.lastname@example.org with resume and cover letter to apply.
Pace Gallery in partnership with Black Lunch Table
A unique short term contract position that will work on site at Pace Gallery New York and remotely with Black Lunch Table to improve the presence of artist’s biographies and related topics on multiple Wikimedia platforms. The Wikimedia Fellow will have access to Pace’s library and archive holdings during the term in order to improve existing Wikipedia articles by adding context and references and creating new pages on notable topics and artists. The fellowship will conclude with a related archival exhibition related to the work completed during the term.
New York, NY in addition to remote meetings and work.
Responsibilities and Duties
This position is responsible for the general improvement of articles and items about and related to artists, and especially Black artists, on Wikimedia broadly. The fellow will use the holdings at Pace Gallery to bolster the presence of artists that are well represented in this particular library. At the beginning of the fellow’s tenure, an outline of goals and expected timeline will be established based on materials available and the fellow’s interests. This research outline will be realized with guidance from Black Lunch Table and Pace as needed. The timely completion, revision, and communication about the outline will be the responsibilities of the fellow.
- Learn the Pace library/archiving system
- Learn, if necessary, Wikicode and community guidelines as a Wikipedia contributor
- Create a plan/outline for Wikimedia improvements during term
- Prepare and share midpoint and final presentations on their work as well as short updates to be shared publicly for social media,etc.
- Maintain regular communication with BLT Wiki director and Pace liaison
- Maintain on-platform tracking as necessary
- Work to coordinate culminating archival exhibition
Applicants must be self motivated and organized. They will need to be an excellent communicator, adaptable, and a good manager of their own time. They will need to be willing to work creatively with a variety of folks while also applying critical and decision making abilities to succeed in this role and complete the expected goal.
Existing Wikipedia editing skills are favored but not required, BLT will train the right candidate. Applicants who are interested and versed in art/history, Black artists, archives and library science, journalism and writing should apply whether or not they are currently Wikipedia editors.
Compensation and Conduct
This fellow will be a contractor of Black Lunch Table. While they are working on site at Pace they are expected to operate as a visiting researcher/scholar in the library/archives. This position is paid by stipend at a rate of 20k for the contract term without benefits. The position term is flexible based on the scope of research and work outlined by the fellow, expectation is between 6-12 months.
Application will be open through June 25th. Start date is mid-late summer. To apply for this position please send a brief letter of interest and relevant resume to email@example.com
Black Lunch Table is seeking a Transcriber with at least 5 years experience. Excellent attention to detail and listening skills are musts. This contract position will conclude at the end of 2021, with a high probability of renewal for the following year.
Black Lunch Table currently has a backlog of recorded round table discussions, which will ultimately be transcribed, coded and uploaded to our online database. We require two transcribers to listen to each audio record and transcribe the conversations or proofread. As there are multiple speakers in each roundtable session, it will be critical to identify and notate who is speaking, as well as what they are saying. We do not edit for content but follow a style guide.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter identifying the following:
- 5 years audio transcribing experience required
- Arts interest or background preferred
- Intersection with our mission a plus
Please send a cover letter and resume to portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours are a flexible 10-15 hrs/week. Pay floor: $15, commensurate with experience.